Sunday, December 7, 2008

Emmanuel...I am not alone.

I have been feeling low lately. Partly it's because I've been sick for most of the last couple months, so physically I'm worn out. I can't seem to get anything accomplished. This lack of energy takes its toll on my emotions for sure. Partly it's because I still fight feeling lonely living in a new place. All of my relationships have been in a transitional state for so long that it gets wearying and feels very unstable. And so, I found myself at the end of this last week feeling quite depleted.

And yet...the still small voice of Emmanuel broke through my pain. Through the kind words of Patric on the phone, through the words of familiar Christmas carols sung with friends at World Harvest, I was reminded of my Emmanuel. God with us. Christ with me. I am not alone. This is a truth that I need to hear often these days when doubts and fears creep in, when I start to feel forgotten. 

Just that word, Emmanuel, has always brought peace to my soul every Christmas. But this year, it has new depth for me. I am so grateful for his presence with me, so glad he came to save me, that he will never leave me, never let me go.  

No comments: